There is a question most people have when they take a piece of Dry Clean Only clothing in their hands:
Can I really not just throw this into the washing machine?
It can be tempting to skip going to the dry cleaners for several reasons, from time constraints to even just saving a few dollars. However, while most of your clothes can survive machine washing for a long time, Dry Clean Only clothes are a bit more sensitive and may not make it through the wash cycle.
What Happens If You Put Dry Clean Only Garments in the Washing Machine?
The garment could shrink!
If your clothing has Dry Clean Only labels, then you are much better off having it professionally dry cleaned than washed at home. Some may provide a bit of leeway, but in general, it’s a good idea to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.
When these garments are put into the washing machine, a few different things can happen:
- The item can shrink even as much as 2-3 sizes
- The fabric or lining can tear
- If the garment has lace, beading or other applications can loosen
- The colours can bleed
- Fabric textures can change and stiffen
Moreover, in some cases even if your wash dry clean only clothes makes it through the washing machine without a problem, really stubborn stains will likely not be removed with an at-home wash cycle alone.
Can You Clean a Dry Clean Only Clothing Item at Home?
Some dry clean only items can be cleaned at home – but it generally depends on the type of fabric, as well as the stain itself. Your best shot at cleaning these clothes without ruining them is to take them to a professional dry cleaner.
But if you’re pressed for time, here are some tips that can help you clean your clothes in spite of the dry clean only tag:
- You will need cold water and mild detergent
- If you’re washing clothes made from silk or wool, hand wash them only;
- Use a clean sink or basin to gently wash your clothing items;
- Some items such as cotton, linens and durable polyesters can be added to the washing machine, but consider adding just one item to see how it handles the cycle;
- Use the “delicates” cycle and only a small amount of mild detergent;
- Lay the item flat to dry to avoid stretching it’s a knit garment. Woven ones are fine to hang.
There are also some home dry cleaning kits available that could help you remove some stains from your garments without damaging them. However, some fabrics such as leather, fur, or other gentle fabrics are usually exclusively professionally dry clean online.
How My Butler Service Can Help
If you want to professionally clean your dry clean only garments without the hassle of at-home cleaning, we’re happy to help.
My Butler Service are your local mobile dry cleaners. We make it easy and convenient to care for all your sensitive fabrics and precious clothing items.
For more information, we encourage you to reach out to our team today!